I feel very conflicted about this film. There were good things about it, and then were bad things about it, and I just can’t make up my mind how I feel about it overall. There were probably more things I didn’t like, to be honest. The characters were far too hipster, for one. Way too much quirkiness going on. The dialogue wasn’t very good and filled with cliches. I thought Logan Lerman was severely lacking in charisma and Emma Watson was just bad and not natural at all. Her character was the manic pixie dream girl trope incarnate. I straight-up hated some of the film, really. It wasn’t all bad though. Ezra Miller was good, and in a completely different way to his amazing performance in We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011). Near the end, it got quite dark and interesting. It was a little too late though, and it still ended as a film to comfort teenagers in their confusion and misery of adolescence.
I just finished watching American Horror Story. Thoughts:
- I don’t really get the hype around this show.
- I pretty much straight up hated the first episode. I honestly didn’t think I’d get through the season after that one.
- I found the pacing/editing absolutely horrible. It was far too quick. Luckily, they eased up on this in future episodes.
- The show certainly got better, but I don’t think it was ever brilliant.
- Connie Britton was incredibly dull.
- Dylan McDermott wasn’t much better.
- I didn’t see what was so special about Jessica Lange’s performance either.
- Kate Mara is really hot.
- The last episode was odd and unexpected, but in a good way.
- In the end, I liked it. I just didn’t get what everyone liked so much about it. And I’m a fan of the horror genre.
- I’m interested in seeing what Asylum will be like.